Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Well ...

Doc told me to give it a few days, and I've given it six. I've been a good boy - resting my knee,  taking anti-inflamatories, icing it, using a compression wrap ... But the bottom line is that I'm spending a lot of money staying in this motel, and I still can't walk without pain.

I have a shuttle to Asheville tomorrow, where I'll pick up a rental car and drive home to Michigan. There I'll see my ortho guy, get a better picture of what's going on, and get on any treatment/therapy to repair the injury.

I'm bummed. But I've had a great outpouring of support from my friends and family.  Everyone urging me to get healed, and to get back on the trail.

Which I will.

If I'm ready by June, perhaps I'll flip-flop by going to Maine and hiking south. If I have to wait till July, I'd consider a Flip-Flop where I'd start in Harper's ferry, VA, Hike north to Katahdin, then return to Harper's ferry and hike south to Springer Mountain.  Otherwise, I'll start again on Springer next Spring.

What is certain is that the trail will be here when I'm ready for it.

I'll be posting throughout the process, and I appreciate all your support.